To all the boys I've loved before

by - February 21, 2019



To All the Boys I've Loved Before is the first book in a trilogy written by Jenny Han. This is the story of Lara Jean, a teenager who finds herself in trouble when her love letters are released. Especially, since one of them is addressed to her sister's ex-boyfriend. 
The first thing I have to say is that if I had read this in high school, I would have absolutely loved it. But I'm not in high school anymore, and I cannot say I loved this, not even that I liked it a lot. I just liked and that's it, which left me a little disappointed. After all the hype for these books, I thought I would like it more. And I did like the movie quite a bit, so I was expecting to love the book. But sadly, I have to say that the movie might be better than the book.

First, I found Lara Jean to be a bit childish. I couldn't stand her at first because of this, but then I grew to like her. I didn't really identify with her, which was a bit sad since I did identify with her in the movie. 

But my main problem was Margo. She doesn't appear that much in the book, but every time she did I couldn't stand her. I just found her to be so mean and selfish, so I just couldn't avoid rolling my eyes at everything she said. She did redeem herself a little bit at the end, but I still don't like her.

And now, Peter Kavinsky. I have to say at first I didn't like him so much, but this was mainly because I didn't like how the narrator of the audiobook did his voice, more than something with him himself. I liked how you can really notice from the middle of the book how Peter likes Lara Jean since in the movie it comes as kind of a surprise. 

I recommend this if you like contemporary young adult fiction, especially if you like books where the characters are built amazingly, but with a plot that might be too slow for some readers.

You May Also Like

0 comments