Leaves of Grass

by - February 04, 2019


Leaves of Grass is a poetry collection written by Walt Whitman. I read the edition that was published in 1855, which contains twelve poems. The book deals with several topics, including what was to live in America, the war and nature. I found the book a bit repetitive. Sometimes several stanzas would be just examples of some feeling, or similarities between objects or sensations. This made the book a bit boring at some points, with only a few stanzas that called my attention. 

I found the language used a bit hard to understand since there would be several words I didn't know the meaning of. But you should take into account that English is not my first language, although I'm fluent in it. This means that maybe this book won't be suitable for young teens, but it will be ok for older ones. And if you are just learning English, I recommend you to read this in your native language. 

Here I bring some lines that I found very interesting.
"They come to me days and nights and go from me again, but they are not the Me myself"
"This hour I tell things in confindence, I might not tell everybody but I will tell you."
"I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars."
"Not I, not any one else can travel that road for you, You must travel it for yourself."
"The murderer that is to be hung next day... how does he sleep? And the murdered person... how does he sleep?" 
 

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hola Linda! ya te sigo ♥ me gustó mucho tu blog! y en Inglés bellísimo :D
    no conocía el libro ya que no soy dada a la poesía pero me parecieron fragmentos muy lindos :D quizás hasta me anime a probar leer algo por el estilo.

    Besotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! Si no eres muy dada a la poesia, te recomiendo que partas por autores como Amanda Lovelace o Rupi Kaur.
      Un beso!

      Delete