to make monsters out of girls

by - January 27, 2019


to make monsters out of girls is a poetry book by Amanda Lovelace. It is based on a chapbook published originally on Wattpad. It has roughly 100 poems, divided into three chapters; monster-boy, monster-girl, and sun-heart. The book is mainly about a girl lost in a toxic relationship, who finds herself again and then finds someone who loves her for what she is. I found several poems really touching, while others did not really impress me. But these poems were the minority. I overall found the book well-written and is aesthetically pleasing, since it includes beautiful illustrations by Munise Sertel.  

The book is an easy read, it has no fancy or complex words, but rather a simple language. It is not difficult to understand, not because it has a simple meaning, but because it is written in an everyday language. This way is easier for the message of the poem to come across to the reader. 

I have read other books by Amanda Lovelace, the princess saves herself in this one and the witch doesn't in this one. I really liked both, but I think this book is of superior quality. The illustrations are prettier, and overall I think that Lovelace did grow a lot from her first book to this one.

And so you can get a taste of Lovelace, here I bring one poem of the book;

there was
no comfort

to be 
found in

the
pages

that once
pulled me

through
it all

- you took things i didn't know you 
could take

You May Also Like

0 comments